Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chicken Coop/Garden Shed

These pictures are in no particular order but Troy has been working for 2 weeks on getting the chicken/garden shed done before winter hits us. He has done a great job. I tried to help him as much as I could by handing him boards, measuring boards, making sure the right tool was plugged in when he went to use it, hand him nails, and let him know if a board was not in place before nailing (this one would get me a "look" from him). I was trying to keep him from getting grumpy from the heat and frustration. The only part of this shed that needed to be purchased was the wafer sheeting! Everything else Troy had.

Under this counter is the hen house where the hens can lay their eggs and sleep safely from the raccoons, skunks and foxes. We have found a big raccoon on our front porch a couple of early mornings eating the cat food. It is probably the same one that got our rooster and hen while they were still running free around the yard.
Fifi supervised the whole project.
There are the happy little hens and our one turkey! Ya, they were real fun trying to catch! The white chicken and turkey are tamed and they were no problem but the other 4 hens and 3 chicks, they gave us a pretty good workout. The whole time that Troy and I were running after them with fishing nets, yelling at each other, I was hoping that no one would notice us while driving by our home and maybe ask us at church what the heck we were doing.
Troy worked so hard and we probably had the hottest days during these past 2 weeks. To keep him focused and motivated I would bring him plenty of water and an occasional sandwich.
Can you see the "deep thinking" look in his face? I was always trying to rush him along, "That is good enough." I just wanted it to be done.
I would cut the chicken wire for each window while Troy stapled the wire on 8 window frames. He started to get blisters so I gave it a shot and couldn't finish one window. I am a wimp.
A perfect porch for Troy to sit comfortably while supervise my weed of the garden. We need to replace the 2 window panes missing in the door and build shutters for the windows to keep the snow out.
Those hens love their ramp, they go in and out all day long.
It is amazing what Troy can do with junk, he can make anything look charming.
Here is where it started, screwing down old rusty tin for the roof. As you probably could tell we like old worn, rusty, weathered things. As Troy said once, "It's homey". Notice his beard is tucked into his shirt and that is for a very good reason. While roofing our house his beard got caught in the drill wrapping the drill right up to his chin. Troy clicked the reverse on the drill and then it unwind and rewind again!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Do you want the window frame back? The shed looks great. Good job Troy...

Pam said...

Troy did an awesome job! It is absolutely beautiful. Did he scrounge all the pieces and wood? I love to find things and make it work into something else. Those chickens have a cool place to lay. We like Henny Penny. We were very pleased that she didn't accidently get her head in the way of Troy shoveling. Those are some awesome potatoes too. Kathy, they are so big!

Pam said...

I love your shed porch too. It looks so peaceful among the sunflowers. A perfect place to enjoy especially before the snow.

Carol said...

That is a great picture of Troy standing there at the windows, thinking, he is quite the thinker..