Saturday, March 28, 2009

Home Production

I bought my seeds for the garden and decided to start my own vegetable plants rather than buy them. So far it's going ok. My next hurdle is transplanting them into the garden. It is kind of stressful. I would check them everyday looking for any evidence of a seed sprouting. Before any did I would move my tray around the house trying to figure out the best place for them to grow. I know that they needed moisture, heat and light. The girl at the garden store had me get a lit to my tray. That didn't work for me. It kept too much moisture and the small tender plants would mold after they sprouted, so I started over. Right now I have them in my boiler room under a plant light. I did have them on my microwave in front of the kitchen window with a heating pad under it, but I wasn't sure if that was warm enough. The pad didn't cover the entire bottom of the tray. In this tray I have all of my tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, 3 different peppers, squashes, pumpkin....I think that is it. We don't have a real long growing period so I am trying to get a jump start.
Look at the beautiful eggs my little chickens are giving me. The fun part is giving some to friends, neighbors and my children. Everyone enjoys fresh eggs.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Kathy, I wish we lived next door to you. We planted seeds right in the ground and nothing is coming up so we started all over again with almost the same set up you have. We have limited space so we are planting less. I hope it works this time. Same for you. We just learned that chickens with white ear tufts lay white eggs and chickens with brown ear tufts lay brown eggs. I didn't know chickens had ear tufts!

Katherine said...

Neither did I!

Carol said...

Kathy, you did a beautiful job on my blog. I was crying. Did you see the comment Caroline gave? Thank you. Your seeds and you are wonderful. Love you, mom.