Friday, August 28, 2009

Wind Caves

Troy and lived in Issaquah, Washington during 1985-1987 and never took the opportunity to ride a ferry to one of the beautiful Pudget Sound Islands to explore. I have always regretted not doing that. Now I try to make a point of discovering and exploring the beautiful places that are right around us. While walking around the green belt the other day I ran into a friend from our ward. She told me how her family tries to go on a hike every weekend. She told me the Wind Caves in the Logan, Utah Canyon was a great hike, only a couple of hours, beautiful and not difficult. Great! that was our next adventure.

The NEXT day I told Troy that I wanted to go that evening after Sundi got off work. Troy, Blue and I drove to Logan to meet Sundi. She got off work at 5:30 p.m. She changed her cloths and we picked up some water and snacks for after the hike. The sign said that the hike was only 1.8 miles, we all swear it was longer. No sooner did we start the hike Troy was gone and we didn't see him till we got to the top. He couldn't understand what was taking us so long.

Sundi started telling me about her call customers at work. She was walking ahead of me but couldn't talk facing forward, she kept turning to talk to me causing us to move slowly. She wanted to sit and rest a few times and catch her breath. We were a little in a hurry because we hadn't started our hike till close to 6:30 and we wanted to make it to the top before the sun was down.

In the canyon you loose the sun fast. It was a beautiful view going up. It was a bit steep and Sundi and I were huffing and puffing but we made it. The trail started to "switch back", so Blue thought he could cut the trail short by going straight up. Sundi gave up twice and started back to catch up with me, but Blue convinced her that they were almost to the trail. Just as we met up back on the trail again Sundi and Blue came crawling up the loose rock, out of the shrubs. At that point I left them behind.

They took much longer getting up to the top, but they were enjoying talking and hiking together.
I finally caught up with Troy finding him sitting there in the caves sipping his water.
The caves were beautiful cathedrals with a perfect view of the canyon. While waiting for the kids Troy and I took pictures of ourselves. In this picture I set the camera on a very small ledge and set it on a X3 timer hoping that by the time the third shot went off I was in place. I couldn't really run down into place by Troy because it was steep with loose rock and that is a shear drop off behind us. The first shot I am no where to be seen, the second shot I am half way there, but made it for the third shot.
The rock above our head is a small arch walk way which I actually walked across.
Sundi and Blue still talking about life. By the time we got down the trail the sun was down and we could barely see the trail. The trail was very narrow and walled in by tall grass, helping us stay on the trail. It was a great hike. Troy and I visited on the way down talking about "kids" always, while the kids were up the trail behind us still chattering away. Blue and Sundi really enjoy seeing each other. Sundi has a good relationship with Blue, where he feels comfortable in talking to her. Good memories.
After the hike we then took Sundi to her place. Sundi and Christy have moved AGAIN. They have a tiny little, 2 bedroom place. One apartment of six in on two story house on Center street. We ate egg sandwiches, peaches and pudding for dinner.

2 comments:

Pam said...

What an awesome time spent together. I'm glad that you go out and do what you do. It's amazeing what you can find in your own surroundings that you may not even know about until you look. It looked like an awesome hike. Wish we were there!

Carol said...

I agree with Pam. It sounds like you had a great time together. That would have been fun if we were all together doing that.