Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Seedlings are Coming Along

This is for you Pam. Here are my tomato plants. I am excited for these. I have a meaty one, I think Celebrity and Roma tomato and a cherry tomato. When I transplant these I will put my Wall-O-Waters around them. They are great for protecting the plant from the cold if we have a late frost ( we had one in June last year) and they act as a green house. We don't have a real long growing season and so this gives me a little more time to get red tomatoes.
These are different squash. However, I have been told that it isn't necessary to start squashes indoors. You can plant a seed beside a transplanted plant and by the time the transplant gets through the transition the seed will have sprouted and grown to the same size as the transplant.


On the end are my Broccoli and Cauliflower. I would like to grow a lot of them and make a "California Blend" to freeze. All of the plants are so delicate, and I really don't know what I am doing so I am really nervous. I really need to read up on soil, nutrition, compost etc.... Everyone is going nuts over the Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. You can find it on the internet.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Squashes, huh?! *lol* Is that kind of like geeses or mooses?! :o)

Carol said...

Your garden is going to be fabulous.

Pam said...

Wow, Everything looks good. If I had more room I would try broccoli and cauliflower. Your seedlings look real healthy. Some of mine look leggy. I think your grow lights are doing their job. Hmmm. Frost in June...I would just hope for 70 degree weather. That would be frost for Arizona in June.