Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rototilling the Garden

Finally the snow is gone, the ground is thawed and the soil isn't soaking wet and we can rototill the garden. Here is Russell Sortor with his trusty John Deer that he bought off KSL.com. He rototilled my garden for $35 and I then sent him home with a dozen fresh chicken eggs.
Are 8 Chickens and Turkey had a feast on the worms that were tilled up. They couldn't eat them fast enough. After they were full they buried themselves in the soft, cool soil to dust their feathers. They looked dead lying there with their wings all sprawled out. If any of you know, the white chicken flies out of the coop everyday and so I don't even bother putting her away at night. Well actually she roosts herself in the shed. Well now there are two other chickens that have figured out how to fly out of the coop. It's not that big of a deal but they are making a poopy mess in the shed and they love to come on the porch and eat the cat food. This morning I tried to sneak the cat food out while keeping my eye on the white hen. As soon as I turned the door knob I could see her cock her head and run as fast as she could to the porch. Most of the cats got out of her way but one, Fifi. She thought she would hold her ground. She even hissed and swatted at the hen, but the hen won in the end by putting her feathers up on her neck and peck Fifi on the top of her head. I never knew hens had a personality, but they do. Each one is different.

2 comments:

Carol said...

That is so much fun to have chickens. When I lived in Lockwood Valley my neighbor gave me a banti and a turkey. They were so cute, they would follow me around the garden area while I was pulling weeds and cleaning up the garden. They would do the same thing that your chickens did. They were so cute.

Pam said...

We would love to have chickens. Unfortunately we aren't zoned for chickens. Our friends had chickens and each one had a personality. That white one would be fun to watch. She sounds full of it.