Friday, May 29, 2009

Hiking the "M" Mountain

Sundi had two days off from work and called to say that she wanted to come home and visit us. My response was, "Really? Why?" She never comes home for more than a day or alone, so I was excited that she came home Tues evening and left Friday morning. To have that much time with her all to myself was wonderful. We hiked, baked cookies, watched movies, visited people, sun tanned, went walking, did aerobics, got an ice cream cone, stayed up late talking, cooked dinner and scrap booked. I don't think we have done that since she has moved away from home.

Her first morning I woke her up to announce that we were hiking the "M" mountain (her father's idea). Her face wrinkled all up and she says, "Why?" I convinced her that it would be fun. We went up the back side of the mountain where there were a lot of wild flowers in bloom.
Sundi and I carried water bottles up in our pants so our hands were free. It didn't look very attractive.




Troy breaks out in singing, "The hills are alive with the sound of music...."
Sundi and Troy telling me to hurry up.
We made it to the top and that is Malad behind us.
About eight years ago there were a couple of New Years Eves that Troy took Seth and Wind to the top of the mountain to burn tires from the dump. There was always snow. One year Seth brought a friend, Mike Hanson with them. He wasn't a big kid and there was snow to the top of their legs. Troy ended up carrying his tire for him. They made it to the top but when they got ready to drive away in the van the van slipped off the road getting stuck. Seth and Mike stayed in the van while Troy and Wind walked into town to get help. Now keep in mind it's early morning, snowing and cold. They couldn't call me because I had turned off the walkie talkie and went to bed after they called to say they had made it to the top and ask if I could see the fire.They finally got a police officer to help them. I think they got home at 4 a.m. Those kids were cold, tired, hungry and irritated.

We had a great time and I look forward to the next time she comes to visit like that again.

2 comments:

vinelord said...

I can see our house just off my left shoulder between Kath and I standing on M mountain with the Malad valley behind us.

Carol said...

Why were you burning tires on top of the mountain?