This year we spent Christmas in Park City, Utah. I had mentioned earlier in the year about going somewhere for Christmas. I wasn't sure if we could really pull it off, so I didn't make any plans until Jessica mentioned it. She told me that her and Seth were going on "that trip" for Christmas so they would be spending Thanksgiving at her parents.
Me, "Where are you going?"
Jess, "You know that trip for Christmas?"
Me, "Oh, ya, ok"
I didn't realize that they had all been seriously planning on going away for Christmas, so I got busy making plans. We found a condo to rent across from Park City near Jordanelle. It was a small, nice place. I wanted something homey feeling, not a hotel. Sundi, Blue and Wind had to share the hide-a-way bed and floor in the living room. That didn't work so well, defiantly need beds for everyone next time. Sundi said that might have worked when they were little, but not anymore. Seth & Jess had their own room and we had a master room. The condo was equipped with games, Nintendo, there was a jacuzzi, club house with ping pong, pool and a gym. Plenty to do between activities. The condo was perfect location to Park City, The Canyons ski resort, Soldier Hallow and Homestead in Midway.
It was wonderful having all of us together for four days, enjoying each other, spending time playing, eating and hanging out together. I think they all really enjoyed doing this and already are thinking of next year. I am glad they enjoyed their selves. One thing that we all decided was that we needed to be better prepared on the meals. To save money everyone decided we would not eat out. We could have saved more if I had made a menu and brought staples and seasonings. As it was we were able to eat for about $25/person for the whole trip. What would be better is having someone there to do all of the cooking and cleaning, however Jessica & Sundi were wonderful at jumping in and cleaning up, thanks girls. The first day we arrived we spent settling into the condo. The girls, Troy and I went to Wal Mart to go grocery shopping. Jess handled the calculator so we knew how much we were spending, Sundi kept me focused on the list and Troy pushed the cart. He was very patient with us zig zagging back and forth through the store. While we were doing that Seth and Wind went to down town Park City. Blue stayed behind to watch a movie.
Our first full day Seth and Wind got up early and headed to The Canyons ski resort. Before leaving they meticulously cleaned their goggles. The rest of us headed into Park City to go window shopping.We parked in a parking garage, the top was free parking but it was quiet the maze figuring out how to get up there. We walked down one side of Main Street and up the other trying on hats, scarfs, coats, looking at jewelry, furniture, antiques, petting animals, buying chocolate and looking at art. Many store owners had pets hanging out in the shops. We found Midas the cat in a art gallery. I told the store owner that he must not jump up onto anything, "Oh yes he does, go in the back room and see the $2000 piece he just broke the other day". While the kids walked up the side walk with their lollipops a little boy stopped and looked at them, "Lollipop? lick...lick?" and began following them. We all found something we really wanted, I a kermit green pee coat, Sundi a necklace, Jess a bunny fur hat, Troy a green man metal door knocker, but we were good and only bought CHOCOLATE!
We ran back to the condo to eat clam chowder for lunch that I had in the crock pot . When then headed over to the Tanger Outlet stores (that is how close we were). We all split up, but when Blue met up with us he told me he had found a Volcom hoodie he wanted really bad, "I told you this trip is your Christmas". Blue, "I know, but it's perfect and it's blue". As we drove around to find the girls I stopped to take a look at the hoodie. He wanted it so bad. I got into the car and Troy says, "Give him the money, go get the jacket Blue". I was outside talking with the girls while he was buying it, he came out and gave me a hug and thanked me. Small price to pay to make him happy for Christmas. Sundi says, "Whoa, what is this about (the hug)?" The boys were exhausted and sore from snowboarding, but I think they like feeling that way. That way they know they have played hard.
We named these huge Geodes "The Devils Horns".
Sundi is living in St. George, UT and was shivering with a coat, mitten & scarf on while window shopping.
Jessica lives in Driggs, ID and she was ok in a silky top and little sweater.
The jacuzzi was great in the evenings. Blue lost a bet at pool or ping pong and had to lay in the snow. He thought he left his swim trunks at home and we convinced him it would be alright to wear his boxers. The next day he found his trunks, just in time for the crater hot pool.
The day of Christmas Eve we all went tubing at Soldier Hallow and soaked in the crater at Midway, UT. The best part of tubing was on our last ride. We talked the kid at the top to let us all go down hooked together by our feet in a long train. "It's our last time down". "Ok, I am not looking". It was very scary, I thought we were going to flip over the little hill that divides the runways, we were going so fast. Jessica was on the end video us and screaming.
While being pulled up to the top by a cable the kids were throwing snow balls at each other, not soft ones either. I got one in the back of the head by Wind. The tubes are pulled up over a small ridge that makes the tube slide over enough so the ring comes loose and then we just slide over out of the way, well Blue was sitting high on his tube and did a face plant right in front of the kid sitting there. Troy starting swinging his tube around by the cord and hitting everyone's tubes.
After tubing at 4:00pm we headed straight to the Homestead crater to go swimming in the natural warm water of 90 degrees. It is always brutal getting out of the water into warm dry cloths specially in a cave. Just as we get there I realize I forgot my swimsuit. I sent everyone to go swimming and said I would figure something out. I was 20 min away from the condo, it is Christmas Eve, small town, winter....Where was I going to find a swimsuit? I found a Family Dollar in Heber. I asked the clerk (yes they were open) if she had any shorts, "SHORTS?" I found red shorts and a T-shirt for $2.13! Real cute, NOT. I only got half the swimming in, if I didn't find something I was heading back to the condo to make dinner. Earlier while in line for the tubes we were discussing what we were doing for dinner. When everyone realized we were going to be eating dinner late Seth said, "We should have left you home."
When we returned to the condo and had the lasagna in the oven the kids were getting antsy to play the White Elephant game. Troy wanted us to wait till morning, but no one wanted to. They were so funny, getting all worked up and worried they were going to get something "stupid". We drew numbers and Sundi was first. She went for her dad's gift, brave! Never know what he will give. She pulled one out and then five more, Sing-a-ma-jigs! "Are you serious? You better have a receipt". Seth, "You are SO stuck with those". Troy, "They harmonize". We sat there for a moment harmonizing all 6 Sing-a-ma-Jigs. No one was as excited about them as Troy was. Sundi then says, "Wait till you see what I got". Well that scared everyone and no one would touch her gift. Wind then went for Blue's gift, CandySkull headphones, the kids were impressed and they started rethinking their stratagy. No one had a chance of keeping them though. Blue was #7 and he made it clear he was taking them. Jessica picked mine, George Foreman grill. Troy then picked Wind's. Wind placed his in a gift bag with paper towels stuffed in it. Troy got a $35 Wal Mart gift card.
I picked Jessica's, hand weights for walking and some push-up hand things. Seth then picked his own gift. I asked, "Aren't you going to go for the head phones?" Seth, "No, the way I see it, I am in a pretty good situation". He got a pillow, "I need this". He laid on the floor trying it out. Who would have thought Seth would be so excited to get A PILLOW! Then Blue proudly took the head phones from Wind. Wind twirled Sundi's gift giving serious thought to whether he wanted it and then decided to take the gift card from his dad. Sundi was so proud of her gift, "It was made with TLC" she kept saying. Troy opened her gift and it was a beautifully made double layered fleece blanket. It is 9' long, Troy loved it. He loves curling up in a blanket while watching TV. Her and Robert each made one for their Christmas gifts to give, they were so excited about them. The kids really enjoyed doing this and said they would rather that than draw names. Blue, Jessica and I played "Worst Case Scenario" board game, we were so tired and laughing uncontrollably to some of the scenarios, "make a paste of mud and earthworms" to cure hemorrhoids in the wild! Blue & Jess would not believe me. Who thinks of these things?
Christmas morning was our check-out day, but not till 3 pm. I went to the gym and when I returned everyone was up and ready for breakfast. Jessica suggested crepes so that is what we had. She made us some yummy strawberries with glaze for the filling. While everyone was eating Troy read from the Bible and Book of Mormon the store of the first Christmas. He read of the prophesying and signs in America and in the old world of Christ's birth in Bethlehem. He bore His testimony of the atonement of Christ, the sacrifices that He made for each of us and that Christ only did the will of His Father. I thought it was a perfect Christmas morning and I could feel the spirit and hope that each of our children could too. I liked that there was no focus on presents but on the Heavenly Father's gift to each of us, His only begotten son, Jesus.
After everyone was cleaned up and packed we went to the club house and had a Ping Pong tournament. I think Seth was the undefeated champion, but it was close between Wind and Seth. Wind is so competitive, he would not stop. Blue was our score keeper, with his fingers.
Before leaving we took pictures and then headed home. The boys stopped at home for an hour where we ate and then they went on home to Driggs. I am so grateful that we were able to do this and that Jessica got me going on making plans. It will be hard to stay home for Christmas after this. I am so grateful for each our children, they are good people. Jessica is great with her sense of humor and happy attitude. 












2 comments:
How freaking fun is that?! I loved the post! Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourselves. How much does Sundi want for her sing-a-ma-jigs? Coy would LOVE those! What a great and fun traditon to start. :o)
I loved every minute of this! You had an awesome time. I am so happy that you all did that. You have a wonderful family Kathy.
Post a Comment