Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Suited Up

Doesn't he look handsome!
I told Blue I wanted to take him to Logan to buy a suit. 
I wasn't sure how he was going to feel about it or even wear one.
So I was happy when he said, "I am glad to be getting a suit"
I really liked the tan one, but you can see it wasn't about what I wanted.
He was trying to stay away from the blue ties, but this one was on the "sale" table.
I can tell he feels really good in it. 
Instead of waiting for him, he is ready a half hour before leaving to church.
The first Sunday he wore his suit he asked, "Where are my scriptures?"
He found them buried in his closet, so dusty that I had to wipe them down.
I love seeing my boys become young men, physically and maturely.
During Spring Break, Blue went with a group to NV, that signed up with Vivent,
a Home Security System.
They took them to Reno, NV to train in selling door to door before taking them
to Illinois for the summer selling season.
Blue left Wed and I didn't hear from him till I heard pounding on the door at 6:00 am
Sunday morning. 
"So how was it?"
"Horrible!"
He was tired, sick, and little sunburned and sore.
I was curious to know if it was scary approaching strangers and talking to them about
the security systems, "No, it was easy. It was harder roll playing in front of my friends"
They had training in the mornings and then were dropped off on their own in neighborhoods
from 12-8 pm.
I think he was sick from allergies.
He didn't really talk about it till about 2 wks later. That is when he showed me the materials
he carried in his clip board, showed me the uniform he wore (they only had a sm shirt for him)
and told me about some of the people he talk with. He had doors slammed in his face,
some rude to him, some suspicious of him, met other sales guys and one man gave him
some selling tips.  He didn't make a sale (he was really hoping too) but got some "Maybe's).
"So, do you think you will go to Illinois?"
"No"
They pay your rent upfront and if he doesn't make a sale he has to pay them back,  
he isn't confident that he will be able to sell.
I'm proud of him for trying it out and having the experience.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Blue, you are so handsome and what a good sport. Your mother loves you so much.