June 21, 2011 Troy turned 50 years old!
WOW!
About 9 years ago I had planned to save money and take Troy to Florence, Italy for his 50th birthday. Well, that obviously never happened. I don't do parties, but was thinking it would be fun to surprise Troy with one. Casey calls, "Are you having a party for Troy? If you have one, we will come bring gifts"
That got the ball rolling. Let me give a little run down on what he had been doing first. Troy had been working on helping Misty finish her basement before Roland came home from Iraq, however things got really tense when he suddenly was coming home 2 wks early, so EVERYONE was hustling.
That worked in my favor of planning a surprise party. Sundi designed the invites and we made sure no one put them on the frig for Troy to see. He was down there in UT, in and out of everyone's homes where he could easily see it. My cousin Pam came up for the party (surprise for me) and that made a nice diversion. Friday, the day before, Rich came up with Pam following him and Mom shortly there after. Everyone knew what was going on, but Troy. Everyone I talked too around town would ask about the "party" I was giving Troy. Troy was clueless. I wasn't sure how the "surprise" part was going to play out, but Troy asked Rich if he would like to go for a drive. By the time they returned everyone had arrived at the house. PERFECT!
I was grateful for good weather so I could extend out to the patio. Blue and I worked hard
to get the yard as perfect as are yard can be. It felt good to have everyone outside enjoying
the "yard". Rich helped me get a few tables and chairs from the church. The cultural hall
was all set up for Stake Conference and I was not sure about taking the chairs.
Rich, "They won't even notice"
was all set up for Stake Conference and I was not sure about taking the chairs.
Rich, "They won't even notice"
I was very grateful for all the family coming to celebrate Troy and his 50 years of life.
The birthday boy!
Sundi came up with the design of the cake. I made 4 9x13 cakes, froze them, stacked them,
2 batches of butter vanilla frosting (same recipe I used for cake decorating in 4-H in CA when I was younger), fondant stars and edible paper "50". Sundi cut the 50 out, it looked great. Everyone loved
the taste of the cake and ate just about all of it.
the taste of the cake and ate just about all of it.
It took 3 people; Brenda, Casey and Wind to light all 50 candles fast enough before
they started burning out, so Troy could
blow them out. It took him 3 breaths. I was a little worried about the beard catching on fire.
Rich was kind enough to scoop everyone ice cream, thank you Rich.
Let the Games Begin!
Roland had just arrived home from Iraq a few days before, it was good to see him home safe.
Roland had just arrived home from Iraq a few days before, it was good to see him home safe.
It started with a pioneer game of "Stick Pull"
Who can pull their opponent off the ground and over.
Then Blue brought out two 1 sq. ft boards and a rope. Each person stood on a board
holding the end of the rope. They would tug on the rope until one stepped off their board.
Next was "Jumping over the rope". After each round the rope was raised higher.
Sundi and Christy held the rope. Jessica did a runners high hurtle style over the rope.
Next was the "How Low Can You Go"
Then the "Chicken Fights" started.
Even the dogs, Zeus and Milo II got in on the excitement.
Next was "Sumo Wrestling"
A garden hose was dragged out to make the fighting circle.
When they finally called it quits and had their share of horse play,
they had bloody knuckles, ears, cuts and scratches.
Milo II is big but just a baby and fell asleep. Everyone got in on assembling the fire
pit that Troy got.
The party was a success. I think Troy was pleased, it's hard to tell sometimes.
I'm sure he isn't excited about turning 50, but who is.
Troy, you are an "old" man and I am right behind you.
I can say I have loved every 26+ years we've been together.
We have been through a lot, endured a lot, loved a lot, learned a lot together.
There is no better way than "together".
I love you.
Troy, you are an "old" man and I am right behind you.
I can say I have loved every 26+ years we've been together.
We have been through a lot, endured a lot, loved a lot, learned a lot together.
There is no better way than "together".
I love you.





















4 comments:
Thanks every one for maken a sad lonely time of my life a nice day to remember and I felt your love. I love you Kathy. You are very special.
Your blog is sacred ground for me. You always make life good.
Life is good Troy, very very good. I love you
You bet life is good. The more you tell yourself that the more you believe it. We had a great time. Thanks Troy for turning 50. The kids think their Uncle Troy is neat. And their Mom and Aunt Kathy are alot alike. I thought that was funny. We love you guys.
The picture of Troy standing on the table is a great ending picture. It was a lot of fun. You got a lot of nice pictures. The guys are great. I love you.
Post a Comment