Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Sweet Hum Of My Honey Bees

 My book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" says it's time to check on my bees.
I need to make sure my queen is in the hive laying eggs galore.
I got myself all suited up, headed out across the backyard when I heard it......
 humming!!!
Oh wow! I was so excited.
I dropped to my knees (in my white bee suit) and started taking pictures.
Those are MY bees!
I never appreciated seeing so many dandelions. They were loaded with pollen.
I tip toed on to the hive, didn't want to step on a bee.
 It took me probably a half hour to get my smoker going.
It had rained so the manure was too damp.
I got the hive opened up and the smoker stopped smoking....panic.
I was getting a little nervous with the whole process, so it freaked me out.
I dropped everything
I ran into the house, grabbed a piece of burlap, paper and stuffed them
in the smoker and boy that got things a puffing.
 The book says to be careful to not squish the bees.....
uh, that was a little hard...so sad.
 I was amazed at how much they have done in just a week and half.
It took a moment to realize what I was looking at and then there they were....
larvae....lots of them. Sweet!!!
My queen was doing her job.... populating the hive.
We are in business girls!
 In the spring I need to supply the bees with sugar syrup
2 1/2 qts water 
5 lbs sugar
This is my second batch, I sure hope this is the last.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Those are beautiful bees! I am so excited for you. I like it when you said...those are my bees! they look so healthy.

Erica said...

This is so neat! Kinda makes me want to get bees of my own.