Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Verroa Mites


 I think my bees look really good, the sugar is almost gone, the consistent capped
brood and lots of larvae is signs of a healthy queen.
 On a bee blog it said if you are a beekeeper you are a mitekeeper.
Verroa mites have only been a problem since 1984, 
they can kill a hive if not treated.
I am dusting each deep hive once a week for six weeks
Drawn out comb...it's kind of pretty. So geometrically perfect.
I removed the remains of sugar and placed a sugar syrup feeder.
The sugar syrup acts as nectar which helps stimulates the production of brood in the spring.
 This isn't a good picture and I wish I had a video of a bee stinging Troy's hand.
I have been reading how people will sting their knee joints regularly to help with
arthritis. Troy has been complaining that his thumb joints have been causing his
thumbs to hurt.  I talked him into letting a bee sting him. I put her in the frig to
slow her down. He was getting nervous with the anticipation of being stung.
It took her a minute to warm up, I thought she was dead.
When she finally planted the stinger into his skin, Troy yelled, "ok, get her off".
It was funny.
I felt bad though when his hand swelled up like a blown up latex glove for 3 days.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I want some of that honey! hahah.