Thursday, July 31, 2008

Home Canning



My friend Jenny Bunker and I picked strawberries at 6 am at the Corbridge berry farm and then made jam at my place.
Blue helped me pick these bush cherries at Linda Lundquist's house. They aren't very big and they are very tart. It took us a couple of hours to pick enough to make 7pts of jelly. It was getting so hot that she had us come in and get some ice water and toast with her jelly that she had been making from the cherries. When she put the jelly on the bread I swear she put about 2 tablespoons on each slice, I thought "holy cow!"
It was easy to make, just takes a long time. I had to cook the cherries for 3 hours before turning it into jelly. It turned out really pretty and tastes really yummy! Allie asked why I didn't bring her any, I told her I was too stingy. It took too much work and I didn't get a lot.
Yummy! This is my favorite meal lately. I saute' fresh onion, zucchini, cilantro, spinach and cherry tomatoes from the garden, grade a little cheddar cheese with a little dollop of sour cream and wrap it in a tortilla. Sometimes I will scramble an egg too. So good!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Gosh that looks good, everything looks good, I would like to try some...bring a jar down for the reunion with Pam & Kirk....Mom

Carol said...

Pam and I enlarged the picture of the dish and we were examining all the delicious foods you have in that dish....