Attended a wonderful Preparedness Fair today, organized by our Bishop and his wife, Jeff & Pam Gibson.
We could not have asked for better weather.
The Bishop set up his enormous army tent, so that we didn't have to sit in the hot sun,
while listening to the demonstrations on various cooking methods.
We learned how to clean and season our dutch ovens, cook with dutch ovens, a Volcano cooker, Solar Oven and the standard military oven that fits right on the Camp Chef Stove.
It was exciting to learn so much. The Solar Oven was amazing
as we could see a pot of chili boiling in
as we could see a pot of chili boiling in
one and corn bread baking in the other. We sampled a tasty Apple Pork Loin, very tender Elk meat, and Cherry Chocolate Surprise Cake all baked in a dutch ovens.
We then learned more about Square Foot Gardening. I am so excited about this, I want to try one box this year.
A lot of people did it last year and didn't have a lot of success.
I was not too impressed, till today. The problem last year was the premixed soils on the market,
ingredients were wrong. We learned more on making our own mixed soil this time and I have renewed confidence in
Square Foot Gardening. I am not looking forward to growing a garden this year and it's because it is so much work. However, I think the Square Foot Gardening would be wonderful if done right.
It was a very informative day.
2 comments:
We are trying the square foot gardening this year. Except we chose a cloudy day to plant our beautiful healthy seedlings that we started in the house with a grow light to have them sizzle in the sun even with watering them and protecting them from the sun. So now we are going to try to start the seeds directly in the soil. And if all else fails, I will just do to them what Troy did with your weeds...Flame on!
Wow, that was an awesome lesson on cooking and gardening. I will look forward to your blog updates this summer.
Post a Comment