I bought this used hive for $30, I think about 5 years ago.....to long to do nothing with.
They have been stacked up in the chicken coup where
the mice have made it their haven.
The deeps, supers and frames are a mess.
Yes, I am getting to know "beekeeping" lingo!!
Thanks to my new "Beekeeping for Dummies"
I finally decided to go for it and ordered my first package of bees with a queen for $74.
THEY ARE ARRIVING APRIL 21st!!!
I have to pick them up at Jones Bees in Salt Lake City
and that means I have to be ready with a hive for them to move into.
For $15 I bought exterior white paint (bees like light colors), paint brush
and sand paper.
My hive looks beautiful!
I asked Gaylan Garrett to come over and see what I had and see what
I still needed. He started a beekeeping business, however his reactions to the
bee stings were getting worse to the point that the last time put him into the hospital.
I told him I was reading "Beekeeping for Dummies", he laughed,
"Yea, that would be about right"
He wasn't very encouraging, but he offered a lot of materials to me.
He didn't want to see me invest a lot of expense if it doesn't work for me.
He was very helpful, but I think why he was stung so much was because he
dealt with the bees in a hurry, not smoking the bees and being gentle.....
at least I hope that is the reason.
He kind of was freaking me out.
1 comment:
Your hives look great! And don't listen to anyone to get doubts in your mind. I think it is exciting that you are taking this on. It is very stimulating and you are learning something new. That is what life is all about, taking in new experiences. I want to watch you put all those bees in!
Post a Comment