My niece, Julie announced that she was engaged and her wedding date is April 6th.....
two weeks notice!
Her mother was hustling to put this wedding together, her first.
I would call to see how things were going, "I need to find someone to do the cake"
With my arm twisting behind my back I offered to make the cake.
I wanted to help but I was not sure I could produce a nice cake that
Julie would like.
I spent 3 days baking 10 cake layers, making frosting and fondant and
the day before the wedding assembling the cake.
The fondant on the first cake looked awful, so I tore the fondant off
and tossed into the garbage.
That is when I started loosing confidence that I could not do this.
Troy suggested warming the fondant and that helped a lot.....thanks Troy.
By the fourth cake I was finally getting the hang of working the fondant.
The corners looked beautiful.
I wish I could have started all over with the other layers.
You almost need to make a practice cake.
The corners were very hard to smoothly lay the fondant over and so the
first layers corner's looked awful and I
conceded that I had no choice but to deliver a
hideous looking cake.
I wanted to cry and quit.
It looked as though a powder sugar bomb went off in the kitchen.
My friend, who does cakes encouraged me I could do it and so I finished.
It started to come together and I began to be excited.
The fondant ribbon hid a lot of bad corners.
Troy even helped me make paste pearls.
It looked really nice when finished, I was pleased and confident to present
it at the wedding.
However, Friday morning we awoke to a snow blizzard.
What is an 1 1/2 hr drive under normal conditions was a 3 hr. drive,
white knuckle and bumper to bumper traffic.
Troy had me drive while he kept a hand on the cake.
By the time we reached SLC the cake began to loose it's strength,
shifting and leaning.
Coming into SLC were a couple of deep chuck holes not missed.
Before leaving the parking garage at the temple Troy and I said
another prayer before heading up to the Capital Bld.
We turned towards the Capital Bld. and it was straight UP!
I turned around to find a street less inclined.
I wanted to help but I was not sure I could produce a nice cake that
Julie would like.
I spent 3 days baking 10 cake layers, making frosting and fondant and
the day before the wedding assembling the cake.
The fondant on the first cake looked awful, so I tore the fondant off
and tossed into the garbage.
That is when I started loosing confidence that I could not do this.
Troy suggested warming the fondant and that helped a lot.....thanks Troy.
By the fourth cake I was finally getting the hang of working the fondant.
The corners looked beautiful.
I wish I could have started all over with the other layers.
You almost need to make a practice cake.
The corners were very hard to smoothly lay the fondant over and so the
first layers corner's looked awful and I
conceded that I had no choice but to deliver a
hideous looking cake.
I wanted to cry and quit.
It looked as though a powder sugar bomb went off in the kitchen.
My friend, who does cakes encouraged me I could do it and so I finished.
It started to come together and I began to be excited.
The fondant ribbon hid a lot of bad corners.
Troy even helped me make paste pearls.
It looked really nice when finished, I was pleased and confident to present
it at the wedding.
However, Friday morning we awoke to a snow blizzard.
What is an 1 1/2 hr drive under normal conditions was a 3 hr. drive,
white knuckle and bumper to bumper traffic.
Troy had me drive while he kept a hand on the cake.
By the time we reached SLC the cake began to loose it's strength,
shifting and leaning.
Coming into SLC were a couple of deep chuck holes not missed.
Before leaving the parking garage at the temple Troy and I said
another prayer before heading up to the Capital Bld.
We turned towards the Capital Bld. and it was straight UP!
I turned around to find a street less inclined.
| "W" is for Wright |
I was sick and done.
There was nothing more I could do, but just hope it was still upright
by the time we delivered it at the reception.
Everyone was very gracious and kind with their compliments, I just wished
they could have seen it at it's best.
I tried!
3 comments:
The cake was great. You went to a lot of work and I know Julie appreciated it.
The cake was great. You went to a lot of work and I know Julie appreciated it.
The cake tasted really good. Katherine is professional Cake Maker.
Post a Comment