Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mail and Football

I have been delivering mail everyday this week. Monday I delivered my first city route. I went in at 7:30 am and finished the route at 5:15 pm. I was exhausted, hot, sweaty and filthy. I actually had dirt rings around my ankles! Yuk! I drove the post office's aluminum, square truck. I was constantly opening and shutting, and locking and unlocking the door. We can't leave mail unsecured when we walk a "loop" (a loop is when you walk to several houses at once). I stopped and got a huge thing of water at Thomas Market, refilled at the Kwik Stop and then asked someone at their home if they would refill it for me. I couldn't get enough water. They said I did really good. It was ok. The rest of this week I am just delivering my rual route. I was out driving the other day and could smell fresh cut hay. It reminded me of when I was little and would spend summer days playing in the red barn at the Merrieweather's home in Crescent City, California. It was my brother and I and the three Merrieweather girls, Carolyn, Charlotte and Cindy. We would rearrange the bails of hay to make "stairs" to different levels of our "house". They didn't have the big bails you see now. We would lock the cow's heads in the feeding trough or make beds out of the troughs. I remember feeding the calfs with huge bottles, feeding slop to the pig, eating rolled molasses corn or when the cows got their horns cut off and blood would squirt everywhere. It is neat how a sound, smell or something you see can bring back a memory. Today while driving I was actually cruzing along on my route listening to COUNTRY! It was the only thing I could get on my car radio. I had Kidd Rock cranked up.
Blue is suffering through football practice. I pick him up every evening from football and he is exhausted, sweaty and sore! Poor guy! He looks good in his uniform, he actually looks like a football player! He said he doesn't know any of the plays, but he is learning. Yesterday a kid tackled him and knocked the wind out of him and made him bite both sides of his tongue. This morning his tongue was swollen and it was hard for him to talk. I am pretty sure he won't be taking football next year!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Congratulations on surviving your first city route! Wow. Whenever our mail is late I always try to be nice to the mailman when I see him. Though our mailman is mean. I would rather have you for our mailman. You are prettier. I will be praying for Blue with football. That sport is so hard on your body. He must be exhausted. I know I would be.

Carol said...

Kathy that was a great story about the hay. Yes, certain things can trigger memories. Good luck to you on your routes. I have question. What happens when you drink so much water, what do you do? Good luck to Blue. Is he wearing a mouth piece?