Blue and I buried our little Scooter last night beside Limo. Scooter headed out for one of his nightly excursions on Sunday 17 and never returned. I had checked with the neighbors where Scooter would always go to visit their dogs and I checked the pound. Some people had taken him home once when our neighbors didn't know that he was our dog yet, so I checked there again. Another time he was gone 3 days but showed up one night barking at the door. After 3 days of him being gone I decided to just except that he was gone for good. I kept having the impression that I needed to try harder in finding out what happened to him. Last night I walked down a dirt lane to the back of our property and along the irrigation ditch. I didn't find him and decided to walk down the road between the neighbors and us. I finally found him on my way back home in the ditch off the side of the road. He had been hit really hard by a car. He still had his harness on that he was always trying to get out of. I decided that I wanted to bury him instead of leaving him there to decay in the hot sun. I went home to tell Blue that I found him and that I would like it if he could help me. He got right off the computer. When we drove up I asked Blue if he was sad and said yes. I told him I could do but he told me, "No, I can do it, you'll get too upset". I did get out and help him though. I started to gag getting him into the grain bag. I drove back to the house to get gloves and by the time I got back Blue had him in the bag standing on the side of the road holding the bag out away from him. I asked why he didn't wait for me. He said, "I didn't want you to see the other side" (of his body that was touching the ground).
SCOOTER RESTING ON BLUE'S LAPS
Scooter loved to sleep in the morning sun that beamed through our glass door onto the kitchen floor. He loved sleeping in his little bed all curled up in his blanket. He couldn't be trusted to be alone and so had to be leashed to his bed anytime we left the house. He would secretly go upstairs (where he thought we would never notice) and pee on my mini Christmas trees. Oh! Would he get it from the Ensign, I would slap it on my leg a whole bunch of times and that would scare the be-geezers out of him.
SCOOTER LOVED HIS RAW HIDE STICKS
Blue loved Scooter. He would protect him. While watching TV Scooter would sit there staring at me whining. It drove me nuts and I would tell him to knock it off. Blue would say, "Hold him" or "Just pet him, he wants to be loved". He was always saying, "C'mon Scooter" and let Scooter snuggle up with him. Limo would sit up on his bottom to beg for food, but Scooter would jump 2 feet off the ground over and over to beg. While sitting at the dinner table you would see his head popping up and his ears flying up behind the table top. Scooter was a talker. When we would come home he would greet us by throwing his head back and giving a little howl. Limo never barked, but Scooter was horrible about barking. When we first got him and he started to bark we looked at him like, "What are you doing? You aren't suppose to bark! Stop doing that, you are embarrassing us" Troy would put Scooter on his back on Troy's lap and tickle his paws, driving Scooter crazy. He would drive us nuts with the annoying laugh he would do while tickling Scooter.
3 comments:
Oh Poor Scooter! We are so sorry. I am so glad you went looking for him. It is so much better to know what happened. And Blue was so brave to scoop him up like he had to. That took courage. Victoria is very sad and kept saying Poor Scooter when we were looking at the pictures. We love Scooter!
Sad! I'm sorry. I'm glad you found him though. Now you don't have to wonder what happened. Even though he bugged me every time I went over, I'll still miss him...he was a cutie.
Your story was sad and yet happy. I am glad you had that time with him. He'll be waiting for you..
Post a Comment