Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Blue Goes on the High Adventure Hike

Blue heading over to the church with his 20# pack to go on the High Adventure hike with the scouts for 4 days. 

I was in Utah when he got home and couldn't wait to call him after he returned to see how it went. 
I asked, "Did you have fun?"
"Yes, except for the hike"
The hike was 13 miles one way.  He told me that the leaders kept saying, "Not much further, it's just around the corner".  Blue told me he was getting, "Pissed"
I then asked, "Did you drink plenty of water?"
"Yes, I drank 20 gallons and sweat 20 gallons"
He told me that everyone one hiked to some waterfalls, but he and Jason Gilgen stayed behind at the camp.  They decided to row across the lake in Gilgen's raft. Half way across one of the ores broke in half and sunk.  They finally got to the small island in the lake and decided to go back.  They were both getting really tired rowing with one ore, so thought it would be easier getting into the lake and swimming back, "That was stupid, we got even more tired".
He told me the Lon Young was a really good cook and that Brother Wangsgaurd had very short shorts on and something about them coming back into style. The leaders brought their pistols and sawed off shot guns for protection against bears.

Hiking back was easier than when they hiked in, however they all were sunburned making it really uncomfortable carrying their backpacks.
Blue from the start wanted to go on this hike.  However, I knew I better get him somewhat prepared to do the hike, since he lives a pretty stationary life playing games.  The first hike was up Logan Canyon on the Crimson Trail.  He stops on the trial, "I can't go on the High Adventure hike!" 
 I say, "Well then we better do a lot more hiking before then"
I then took him on another hike in Logan canyon and the family hiked to Darby Wind Caves.
He would complain every time I mentioned a "hike".
He started telling his leaders that his mom had been taking him hiking.
I asked, "Are you glad I took you on those hikes?"
Blue, "Yes"

No comments: