Friday, August 13, 2010

Laying Eggs in Odd Places

This will probably be boring to any of you who read it, but it's funny anyhow.
I have 9 new chicks and when I put the chicks with the older hens, 
they were trying to peck the new chicks to DEATH.
Not a pretty sight....bloody, featherless butts.
We separated the older hens from the chicks.
I never got an egg from the hens and they were pecking each other now...irritation.
I don't want to feed hens who don't give eggs, what good are they?
No, I am not eating them, yuck!
I called a Falconer up and offered my hens,"Sure, bring them over"
Troy would not part with Henny Penny because she was raised as a pet by his brother, Casey
(later given to us) and he wanted Lilli to see that we still had her when she visits for the rodeo.
She struts around the place at will...eating all of the cat food.
(We have to secretly feed the cats after dark, after she has gone to bed in the garden shed)
The other day Troy calls to me, "Kath, come here and see this"
In the middle of the drive-way are 2 eggs!
I didn't think she laid anymore, because I was never getting any when they were caged up.
The next day I asked Troy, "Did she lay another egg in the drive-way?"
Troy told me to look out on the porch in the cat bed!
This is where she lays her egg everyday, now.
That happens to be Fifi's bed, so I don't know how this arrangement is going to work.
I am sure they will figure something out, Miss Henny Penny and Fifi.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Oh my heck! That is hilarious! I love the picture of the chicken in the kitty's bed. So cute. Oh, and I love the picture on your header. You have a beautiful family.

Pam said...

That is so funny...we love it! Yay for Henny Penny!