The big awaited day....SHOW TIME!
These days are very long and tiring.
Sundi reminded me that Wind did pig two years while she only did it the one, once was enough for her.
Weeks before I would have the kids get their animals out and I would act as a judge so they could
practice maneuvering and putting their animals in position while the judge, me, walks around inspecting the animal. They needed to be calm, confident, alert and aware of their animals and the judge at all times.
When Sundi came out of the arena after showing her pig she hisses to me, "I am never doing that again".
I have always encouraged my children to try everything they have opportunity to do, at least once and then decide whether they like it or not. And I tell them to finish what they start. So when I wouldn't let her quit she let me know, very clearly, that she will never do pig again. Ok!
Isn't Sundi the cutest little 4-H'er you did see.
Here Sundi is actually walking her lamb around as the auctioneer bid calling as bidders bid on her lamb.
Bob Dorius won the bid at $400.
Remember how Wind was determined to win Grand Champion with his lamb? Well he never had the opportunity to take it to fair, because 2 nights before they had to take them to the fairgrounds it was struck by a car in front of our house. The kids had their lambs out practicing with them. It was getting dark. Wind's lamb got away from him and ran across the street just as a car came over the hill. The lamb did not die, we called the vet. While waiting for the vet we said a prayer for the animal. The lambs back hip and leg was badly brused. That night Wind slept with his lamb in the pin. Wind was not allowed to enter him into the fair. The lamb was fine, he would hold up his back leg and hop around. We kept him few more weeks till it was time to have the butcher pick him up. That is what he was raised for....FOOD.
Wooly came back to us wrapped in white butcher paper and marked; Leg of Lamb (the good leg, of course), Roast, Chops etc...
Troy just said, "That was good lamb, huh?" Yes, it was.
Here Wind is on Kanook, the horse he got for Christmas a few years earlier. He loved being with his horse. He taught himself how to ride, he was a natural to it. Kanook is a mustang, a stubborn head shy horse that was very difficult to work with. Catching him was a lengthy event, but Wind had the patients that this horse needed. No one was impressed with his horse, they would make comments like, "If that was my horse I'da hit him up side of the head with a 2x4". But Wind would take as long as needed to catch that horse. He got that horse to where he was putty in his hands, still hard to catch, but once he had him, Wind could do anything with him.
Wind groomed his horse for showmanship. He, also had to perform riding skills; bareback, trotting, running, walking, trail and round-up singly and in a group.
I would spend the whole day at the fair grounds, it would be hot and dry. I loved it though, it was exciting and fun. I was so proud of the kids.






2 comments:
Sad about the sheep getting hit. :o( We are auctioning off Justy's sheep tomorrow. I hope someone bids on it. Great pictures, again! Weird to see Wind dressed like a cowboy! :o)
Sundi looks so cute with her lamb. And what a pretty one too. How old was Wind when he was riding his horse in the pictures? He seems to do whatever he puts his mind to...great character trait!
Post a Comment